Friday, September 18, 2009

Little Helper

Preparing for the upcoming school year is always exciting. I love the feeling of a blank canvas. The possibilities are endless! This year I had a little "help" getting my classroom ready, my 2 year old son Cal. While I was organizing, planning and rearranging I set up all sorts of arts and crafts for him. He grew tired of the crayons and markers quickly.

So, I decided to get out the big guns....acrylic paint and a giant canvas. I suited him up in mom's art apron and turned him loose.

PEEK! :)

Ready to get my paint on!

And he's off! I started him out with a canvas I had already painted red.
With small kids it is best to work in layers, one color at a time.
Let the color layers dry in between, otherwise you end up with mud.

So, intense! I gave him the paint and checked in on him every now and then.
He LOVED it!


We took a snack break for 10-15 min while we let the 1st layer dry.


When the white was dry we moved onto blue.


I have done water colors with Cal, even when he was very small.
He enjoyed it, but I have to say he REALLY enjoyed this painting.



I think he liked the texture of the acrylic paint and the freedom.
(don't we all?)


It was sooooo much fun to watch him concentrate.
This project really captured his attention.
Cal has a couple more layers left on his painting.
When he finishes it I will reveal his finished masterpiece!



Needless to say, mom did not get much done. She was having too much fun watching the "helper" and snapping pictures of him. Oh well, I somehow managed to be ready on the first day. I always do. ;)

I love children's art. So innocent and expressive. No inhibitions. Put it in a simple frame and hang it one the wall and there you have it, something very special and beautiful.
art.

No comments:

Post a Comment